Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Cult of Mac - Update on MacBook Pro Gunshot: Threats Took Images Down

  RSS  Cult of Mac
Read Leander Kahney's latest commentary about Apple and Mac News in Wired.com's Cult of Mac Blog, including Mac, Mac Pro, MacBook, iMac, iBook, Mac mini, iPod video, iPod nano, iPod shuffle, iTunes, iPhoto, iPhone, Apple TV, OSX, Steve Jobs, and Macworld.
http://blog.wired.com/cultofmac/
другие подписчики этой ленты также читают >>


  • Update on MacBook Pro Gunshot: Threats Took Images Down
    A lot of people were quite fascinated by the photos of a MacBook Pro that survived a gunshot from a mugging in Brazil we posted a bit ago. We were asked to remove it by the host of the image,...

    A lot of people were quite fascinated by the photos of a MacBook Pro that survived a gunshot from a mugging in Brazil we posted a bit ago. We were asked to remove it by the host of the image, citing copyright and emotional distress.

    A little deeper dig into Gidget_girl's explanation reveals more at play. She's pulled down everything public from her Flickr account, because she claims several people claiming to be from Brazil threatened her. There have been a couple versions, one of which you can find after our jump, the other of which is still at her Flickr Profile.

    Whoa! All of her stuff is gone!

    I've been experiencing some harassment by a bad apple or two here on Flickr, and I freaked out and deleted everything. Sorry. :( It was probably an overreaction, and it was (somewhat embarassingly) a capitulation to a bigoted thug, but what can you do? I haven't decided yet if I will start over with a new account or not.

    Madness.

    Technorati Tags:

    Where are the MacBook Pro photos?

    Two days ago I naively posted a couple of photos, along with a short description of what was happening in those photos. I thought they were interesting and that people would enjoy them.

    Since then I have been threatened with violence by three (alleged) residents of the country of Brazil. Ironically, they are angry with me for saying that a man was violently mugged in their country. Fucking geniuses. It's also ironic because I live in New York City, where muggings are a part of life. I know a man who has been mugged four times in this city, and I say that confidently, knowing that not a single New Yorker will try to threaten me or intimidate me for saying it. I never said anything disparaging about the country of Brazil or its people (most of whom I believe to be lovely individuals), but these men went ballistic. Why? Because an American woman said someone was mugged in Brazil.

    So I took the photos down. I'm not afraid of some boogieman flying up here to challenge me to a duel over the honor of Brazil, but I also don't do internet drama. The threats were only a small part of the barrage of emails and messages I received, accusing me of lying or of photoshopping the pictures. I don't have the time or inclination to deal with that kind of crap. It makes me sick that I've felt compelled to respond to these people at all. It ends right now.

    To those of you who, like me, are Mac enthusiasts and enjoyed the pictures, I apologize for my clumsy handling of this situation. I was horribly unprepared for such a huge response. If you're a savvy googler, you can still find them. Nothing ever really disappears off of the internet. I am done with Flickr.

    Comments


    gidget_girl says:

    This is why the photos are gone. This is a message I received from a user called "brazilianwatcher" who created an account just to harass me. That account has since been deleted.

    This is the price when some stupid american tell a lies to get promoted in Flickr.
    Instead you proof the history, you remove all the photos.
    If the story was true you should keep the photos.
    But you are only one more stupid american citizen who thinks is better then others citizens of the world.
    But you are not.
    This is why americans are the every day more hated by other people.
    Your story is being published in some newspaper in Brazil this tuesday and is getting a euch proportion.
    I can´t wait to see brazilian embassy lawyer knocking in your doors.
    And don´t forget you violate flickr policy when u published photos you aren´t the owner. More then just a liar you are a criminal.
    Not different then Osamas, Bushs and others...
    We will creat a website to discover who you are and deliver to authorities.
    Nobody will kill you, we aren´t criminals and we don´t creat fake news.
    But we want a apologies from you.

    If you all believe nothing else, believe that I did not post those photos with some bogus story just to get promoted on Flickr. I would do just about anything to reverse the attention I have gotten from idiots and thugs over the past two days. I am not a professional photographer. I do it for fun. I own the photographs. They are mine. I have not broken any laws. I will not apologize to anyone. Certainly not thugs who think it's cool to harass people.

    If anyone else wants to threaten me, be aware that I am forwarding all messages related to this topic to Flickr admins.



    Pete Mortensen





rss2email.ru       отписаться: http://www.rss2email.ru/unsubscribe.asp?c=6895&u=24004&r=142365972
управлять всей подпиской: http://www.rss2email.ru/manage.asp
читать наш блог: http://www.olevarty.ru